Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Welcome to New York

Well, I can't believe it... We actually took a vacation to New York City!!!!! Woooo Hooooo!!! I know it's been a while since we got back from New York, sorry for taking so long to post our vacation. But here it is:
We had to drive to Phoenix, Arizona to catch our airplane flight... good thing we have family that live down there. For those of you that don't know how far Blanding is from Phoenix, it is about a good 6.5 hours.
It was fun to spend a little time with our family there, and also to do a little clothes shopping. Before we packed we noticed we really didn't have a lot of casual clothes to wear.. hahaha! It was either sports attire or business attire we had (nothing really in the middle). So clothes shopping it was.... also shopping for walking shoes. I got some new walking shoes and of course I thought I got a good buy for some shoes (although they weren't name brand) I was a satisfied customer. Well, I regreted getting the cheap shoes (man they killed my feet with all the walking we did in NY). So we were happy we got some clothes and we repacked our suitcases as our flight was at 6am the next day.
Well, it was like Christmas Eve... I couldn't go to sleep the night before we left to NY.. Our flight was at 6am so we woke up around 3am cause we were told to be at the airport at least 2 hours before our flight. Lee's sister woke up early too, to drop us off at the airport.... (the last time I was on an airplane was back in 1995-- remember they didnt have to search everything on you or your bags back then?) Well, we entered into the Airport and OMGoodness!!! I didn't realize how many people are awake at that time, I am just use to little ol'Blanding.
I remember we use to take our ticket to a person behind a desk before getting on a plane... well, we had to go to computers, COMPUTERS, to print out our actual tickets, and pay for our luggage. Talk about rushing! After we got our tickets, we had to weight in our suitcase and head to the flight lobby.
HAHA... we had to go through the metal detectors and scanners... I told Lee I felt like I commited a crime because all of the security we had to go through, not only that, the workers there were very pushy and rude.
Well, we finally made it through all the check points and waited for our flight. We waited for awhile (of course cause we got there so early), and then heard our flight called. We headed toward the plane and got to our seats. Well, I forgot to mention earlier that there was a storm coming in, and by the time we did get on the plane the "electrical storm hit" so we had to wait it out and we just sat in the plane while there was lightning all around us... I was scared! I really don't like lightening storms after I had been struck by lightening back in 1985 (that's another story). I'm a wimp and seriously thought the plane was going to get struck by lightening.
Leland was only worried about arriving too late in NY, because we had Yankee tickets for that night in NY. It seemed forever for the storm to pass, but it finally did.
Well, we flew into JFK airport, got our luggage and went straight to find a taxi. (we didn't rent a car, cause we heard NY is a walking city and everything is within walking distance). Well, we did find a taxi and that is where we met our new friend (Emmanuel)... He was awesome and very polite. He took us to our hotel and man talk about traffic.. some of my friends tease me cause in Blanding we have no stoplights. This was a huge difference from anywhere I have been.
Well, Emmanuel was weaving in and out of lanes, but he was also safe. I was telling Emmanuel I wasn't use to all the honking we were hearing and he said "this is nothing, it get worse". (lol). Emmanuel waited for us to take our luggage into our hotel room and then take us to the "Yankee Stadium"!!!! Well, on our way to Yankee Stadium, Emmanuel gave us a little tour of the route he was taking! We were lucky enough that he didn't charge us the full amount to take us to the stadium too!! (Thanks Emmanuel)!!

So we got to the stadium and it was beautiful, the stadium anyway. The outside neighborhood was a little scary, but the stadium was beautiful. I couldn't believe we were there. I am a HUGE YANKEE fan and I never thought I would watch a Yankee game in their stadium. (Thanks Lee!) Well, we said good-bye to Emmanuel and got his number.. I teased him that he was our personal taxi!

We got to the stadium in time to get some food and eat. The food was expensive but very good. It was $20 just for me. That was for fries, hot dog and a drink. It was a huge hotdog though.
We sat down in our seats and by this time it was raining enough for the feild to be covered and the game to have a rain delay! I didn't mind, more time at the stadium-- Well, the delay didn't last that long and the game started! We had awesome seats and enjoyed the game! There is soo much more to tell during our first day/night in NY, but here are some pictures of our first day!

Alex Rodriquez #13
Derek Jeter #2
Yankee Stadium.

No comments: